Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I can't begin to comprehend.....

I am so baffled. I can't get my mind to stop trying to rationalize, and I just come up with nothing.

There are so many people who think that my passion about the orphan crisis is a sweet "stage" I am going through. They can't even begin to understand where I am coming from. I have always wanted to help children who need families my whole life, but until recently I had no idea how BIG of a problem it is. Now that I know what I know, I can't turn my head. I can't just say "Wow, that is so sad" and then walk away. I know I can't "fix" it, like I always try to do with every other problem that comes my way. This is definitely different. But just helping one orphan get food and healthcare, or better yet...a forever family to come home to, helps.

I look at my children, and my heart is overjoyed. They are loved...so very well loved. They are happy, they smile and laugh, and give out hugs and kisses constantly. They are tender spirits who love everyone and everything. They know that the person missing a leg is special, because God chose them to be that way to serve his purpose. They know that God loves everyone equally, and He made everyone different in different ways. Some ways you can see on the outside, and some ways you can't see. They are smart, and funny, and I could go on forever about them. They are well fed, well clothed, are played with, have warm comfortable beds to sleep in. They are truly blessed, and even more than that.....I am truly blessed to have them. They are the best gift from God ever.

But I also look at them and wonder....why? Why do my children deserve such love when there are millions of children who don't get that? Don't get me wrong...as a mother, of COURSE I think my children are special enough to get what they get. I wouldn't settle for anything less for them. But what makes it okay for all the orphans to not be treated the way all of God's children deserve to be treated? Why do so many people turn their heads? If I can help feed them, or help get them home to families, why would I not?? How can someone in good conscious hear the details of the orphan crisis, and then walk away? How can a parent do that? I don't understand. I can't begin to wrap my head around it.

It makes me cry that there are so many people who say "How sad", and then go on their merry little ways drinking their coffee and doing more shopping for cars they don't need, shoes they will never wear, books they will probably not even read. Why can't more people understand that if they bought one less cup of coffee a week, bought one less magazine a week, one less manicure a month, eat out once time less a month.....they would be helping.

Can people do more? Can I do more? Yes. Definitely. But something is better than nothing. And maybe, just maybe, doing something small will spark a desire to do more.
In the meantime, while I struggle with trying to understand how so many people can not care, I will continue to spread the word. Hopefully I can get through to someone.

"....once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.
God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls,
knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."
Proverbs 24:12

0 Comments: