Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Olympic Lip Syncing

Yesterday the fact that the little girl in the Opening Ceremonies was not really singing was broadcast over and over on the news. I am deeply bothered by that. Not really so much for the girl who was part of the ceremony. But for the girl who was deemed "not suitable for TV". Are you kidding me??

I understand it's the Olympics. And it's a HUGE deal to have a beautiful enough voice for China to want the whole world to hear it. But then to not even give the singing girl the recognition? To tell a child they aren't cute enough to be on TV?? As a parent...how are you okay with that for your child?? But then I guess it is a girl...and most girls are killed or abandoned or dropped off at orphanages anyway, so maybe it's not that big of a deal to tell your child she's not good enough.

I just can't wrap my mind around that. I don't understand. I am trying. I try as part of being "open-minded" to different cultures and ways of life. But the mother in me doesn't let me understand. I could never intentionally hurt my child in that way.

Everyday my children hear how fabulous they are. They hear that they are smart, handsome, pretty, great singers, great dancers, so lovable, that they can do anything they set their minds to and anything they want, they hear that they are the best kids in the world. I couldn't agree to something like that. But like I said...I am also not of that culture so I can not completely think in the same way and follow the same thought process. But no matter what...it really bothers me.

0 Comments: